Pages

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Wondrous Watermelon




When the days start to get longer and the summer heat is upon us I know its time for my favorite fruit, WATERMELON!!  The bright pink flesh that is as sweet as candy.  I have fond memories of my grandpa giving me big pieces, going out to the porch and eating it, all the time juice running down to my elbows.


Even though it is available year round, it is the best in the summer.  If you have the room I would encourage you to try and grow them yourself.  If you cant then pick some up at the farm or the market. Watermelons are picked when they are ripe and do not ripen more once they are picked so what you get is what you get.  It should be heavy and smooth with bright green skin and stripes of white/yellow.

Watermelon is a great source of vitamin c.  Vitamin C is important for our immune health. Got a cold coming on run to this vitamin to get better quicker.

It has Arganine, an amino acid, that helps lower blood pressure.

Its rich in Lycopene which helps fight cancer cells.

B vitamins which help mood.

The natural sugars calm cravings and give energy.

And there is nothing like watermelon to help hydrate you since its made up of  mostly water.

I know most people already like watermelon and know its good for you but now you know why.  So instead of picking up an ice cream to cool you down and make you feel better, reach for a slice of watermelon and feel instantly better.

No comments:

Post a Comment