Pages

Thursday, August 8, 2019

Keto Tomato Pie


Tomato Pie
by Keto Chef Melissa




I love tomatoes in every form.  I love them cooked, or raw, in soup, in sauce and even in a can. I like them big, I like them small, doesn't matter I'll eat em all. But of all the tomatoes the Summer Vine ripened tomato has to be the King. I don't know if there is anything better than a fresh tomato sandwich.  Am I the only one who was brought up eating these?




The first time I had this was at a family party. My cousin’s father-in-law brought a full carb, amazingly delicious version which left me longing for another slice. Well we have been living the Keto life for quite a while now and I thought it was gone forever then I had some amazing low carb biscuits and thought I could possibly make a half decent version. Well this did not disappoint in the least. It had all the fresh flavors of summer that I remembered with only 4 net carbs per serving. 



The recipe I use from Simply so healthy  is my favorite Keto biscuit that I have come across. These are so good smothered in sausage gravy or dunked in hot soup. So I thought why not try to use it as my crust.  It held up nicely without getting soggy and gave a nice nutty flavor.


This makes a great side dish beside a nice piece of meat or do it like they do down south and eat it as part of breakfast. I think fried eggs and pork sausage would throw this over from awesome to amazing. No matter how you cut it this is a keeper. 


Keto Tomato Pie 🍅 
9 servings 4 net carbs per serving

3 large ripe tomatoes 
1/2 green pepper diced
1/2 onion diced 
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder divided 
1/4 t salt
1 tsp oregano or Italian seasoning
1/2 c grated Parmesan 
1 c mayo
2 c shredded cheddar 
 1 batch of biscuit dough can be made ahead and refrigerated 

⭐️ A couple hours ahead of time I sliced the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices and layer them on a cookie sheet covered in paper towels and salted them. I let them hang out for a few hours to let some of the moisture out. 

Preheat oven 350 




1. In an 8x8 baking dish press the biscuit dough to cover bottom. Place in preheated oven and par bake for 10 minutes. 





2. In a skillet on medium add the oil and sautè the peppers and onions for 3 minutes. Add the chili, 1/2 the garlic powder and the Italian seasoning.  Cook an additional minute then turn off heat. 




3. Pull the baking dish from the oven and add pepper mixture over the hot crust. Sprinkle Parmesan on top.




4. Place tomatoes in rows overlapping slightly. You will have a few slices left over.




5. In a bowl mix cheese, mayo and the remaining garlic powder.




6. Spread evenly over tomatoes. It’s OK if it doesn’t cover ever spot. 

 Bake uncovered 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. This Tomato pie is good hot, cold and reheats well.

Refrigerate left overs and use within a couple days.



No comments:

Post a Comment