Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Holy Moly Guacamole






I love avocados.  It hasn't always been that way.  I remember being served some sliced avocado at a friends house and being totally freaked out. When I found out how good they were for you I gave them another try.

Did you know avocados promote heart health? They are rich in good fats and help stabilize blood sugar.  They are a good source of fiber and vitamins as well.  You can find out more information about them here

Some of my favorite ways to eat avocados besides just scooping it out with a little sea salt is a turkey and avocado sandwich with tomatoes and bacon. YUM I eat this weekly or more if I have the ingredients.


I think the most famous use of avocados is guacamole.  I substitute guacamole on my sandwiches or eat it with chips.   Of course piled high on anything remotely Mexican will work too.  The best part is guacamole is really easy to make.


 Go to the market and get some ripe avocados and then make the recipe below.


Easy Guacamole 
 serves 4

2 large avocados
1 tomato chopped
1/2 red onion chopped
1 small handful cilantro chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 garlic clove minced
salt to taste 
1/2-1 jalapeno chopped (optional)

in a bowl smash avocados with potato masher or fork.  Leave some chunks.  To the avocado add tomato, chopped onion, cilantro, garlic,lemon, jalapeno if you like heat and salt.

The heat in a pepper comes from the seeds so make sure if you like it on the milder side you seed the pepper.  If you like it spicy add the seeds.  Make sure you wash your hands well after handling peppers.  

Serve with nachos, eat on sandwiches or lick off a spoon.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment